4.14.2011

Dry Erase Menu Board

So I first saw this idea on the Little Birdie Secrets Blog back in September. It was another one of those things where the second I saw it, I knew I had to do it! You can read her post here.

To start, I wanted to do it, but didn't have vinyl cutting machine. Then shortly after, my mom bought a Cricut! Hooray, problem solved! I bought my fabric (which was 2.49 after coupon for a yard). Then I found a nice big solid wood frame at the thrift store (DI) for 75 cents. Can't beat that! Then it sat. I was moving, and it was in the back of my mind. My mom then got the Cricut Design studio, and the perfect Cricut Cartridge! A calendar one so it had the days of the week all ready for me! A couple weeks ago I finally went out and bought vinyl. It wasn't as cheap as I had hoped, but that's what coupons are for!
So after using the Cricut to get my words, I was ready for assembly!



 My supplies: 
-large frame with glass
-Paint, brush, water
-Fabric, fabric scissors
-cut vinyl images, transfer paper
-tape
-Windex, cloth
-Brayer or popsicle stick
-ruler



 I painted my frame, two layers of black was all it took.
 I measured the quick way. Also because I didn't have a need (or future project in mind where I needed the scrap fabric). And cut around the size of the frame giving a few inches to allow to wrap around the backing.
 Wrap the fabric tightly around the back. I did a clean tight triangular fold on the corners. (Sorry it's hard to see). And I use tape, and here's why. I used cardboard as the backing, staples would go through it. And, I want to occasionally change it up, such as for holidays, or seasons.
 After reinserting the glass, I put in the backing, and cleaning the glass and let dry fully before apply vinyl. For the first go, I used the fat popsicle stick/tongue depressor to transfer my image. The instructions that came w/ the transfer paper and vinyl were very simple and easy to understand. (this was my first time using vinyl).
 Abra-cadabra! First step was easy and done.
 For the rest, I then mapped out my plan. I placed my words w/ backing still on and a ruler to get the desired spacing. This was the tricking part, b/c it was all eyeballing really. For the rest of the words, I wanted to try my brayer (which I usually just use for stamping projects). It worked wonderfully and I preferred it much more than the stick!
 My finished product!
Up and ready to use in my kitchen! Hooray! I loved this idea, b/c I've done this before. I use a similar sized dry erase board, and wrote the days of the week and my planned menu. It saves me time and money knowing ahead of time what the plan is.  (I can't plan the whole month like others, only one or two weeks at a time!) But now I have one that is chic and decorative! 
Now to start cooking!

3 comments:

Barb said...

It turned out great!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

This is a-dor-a-ble! AND it would help me REMEMBER what's for dinner!

Love, Michelle

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Hey Katie, Thanks so much for linking this up on Fabulous Friday. It' such a cool project!

Love, Michelle