12.22.2010

Birthday Cakes


My son had a birthday last week and the party finally ended. He had a party with one side of the family, and then the other. It's been fun, but busy, I decided to make cakes for both parties! So here they are!


 For the combined birthday party, It was Toy Story themed. The birthday boy and girl are 4 and love it! I found these adorable cupcakes on a Disney website1 They were pretty simple to make and great for a big group. The link and instructions are here. I used a few different supplies. I used green airheads for the ears and antenna, and I used mini marshmallows that I smashed. I thought that to be much better than a mint, especially b/c my kids don't like mints, but they're also much cheaper! I used a basic butter cream frosting for these.


 The excited birthday kids!





 For the next one I used good old fashioned frosting and tips. I have never used fondant and don't know how. But I prefer the look of frosting. For those that know tips, I really don't know which #'s I used. But I used a grass tip, a very large leaf tip, a small star tip, and a small circle tip. I used Decorator Frosting* for this one.

The thrilled birthday boy!

*Decorating Frosting Recipe
1 lb powered sugar
1 tsp salt
5 tsp cornstarch
1 c. shortening
2 tsp clear vanilla
1/4 c. milk
mix well!

My mom taught me frosting is very forgiving! It's easy and fun to work with!

No comments: